Pagoda is extremely typical among the Buddhist monumental architecture, in ancient Canton. Besides the Flower Pagoda, there is a pair of famous pagodas in Guangzhou by the south bank of the Pearl River, namely, the Chigang Pagoda next to the Chigang Metro Station and the Pazhou Pagoda near the Pazhou Complex.
Constructed in 1597 and completed in 1600, the Pazhou Pagoda is situated on a hillock, which was a small pipa-shaped island in the middle of the Pearl River. Because of its special location, the pagoda was far more than a Buddhist monument. Almost every merchant ship sailing for Canton was navigated by this great landmark.